Lowell High School is a public high school located in downtown Lowell, MA serving grades 9 – 12. Known as the Red Raiders, LHS currently has approximately 4,000 students enrolled, and it is the second largest public high school in the state. Although the school is large and ethnically diverse, there is a community feeling on the high school campus.
Lowell High School initially opened in 1831 as the first co-educational high school in the United States, enrolling both male and female students. The school’s first location was on Middlesex Street, but between World War I and World War II, the school’s enrollment outgrew the small building. In 1840, the school moved into a new building located along the Merrimack Canal, and continued to expand as it became necessary. In the 1920s, a large addition adjacent to the school was built, and in 1980, the school expanded again, this time across the Merrimack Canal with a walkway across the canal connecting the buildings.
The mission of the school is to have a community:
- That values a curriculum incorporating the best practices of both traditional and contemporary instruction.
- That creates and supports an atmosphere promoting high expectations for student achievement.
- That strives to meet the needs of a variety of ethnic and language backgrounds, career interests, and learning capabilities and styles by providing a broad range of programmatic offerings.
- That believes student accomplishment is a shared responsibility of students, parents, staff, administration, school committee, and community.
- That provides all students the curriculum to meet school and state graduation requirements, and assesses learning continuously in a variety of ways including mandatory state testing.
Some famous Lowell High School alumni include:
- Jack Kerouac – American writer
- Ted Leonsis – Founder of AOL
- Ed McMahon – Entertainer
- Marty Meehan – Massachusetts Congressman
- Tom Sexton – Poet
- Paul Tsongas – US Senator
- Herbert Zarkin – CEO of BJ’s Wholesale Club
Lowell High School Address
Lowell High School
50 Fr. Morissette Boulevard
Lowell, MA 01852
Phone: (978) 937-8900