1. We will check your details against the Cifas databases established for the purposes of allowing organisations to share and record data on their fraud cases, other unlawful or dishonest conduct, malpractice and other seriously improper conduct (“Relevant Conduct”) carried out by their staff and potential staff. “Staff” means an individual engaged as an employee, director, trainee, homeworker, consultant, contractor, temporary or agency worker or self-employed individual whether full or part time or for a fixed term.
2. The personal information you have provided, we have collected from you or we have received from third parties will be used to prevent fraud and other Relevant Conduct and to verify your identity.
3. Details of the personal information that will be processed include:
- date of birth
- any maiden or previous names
- contact details
- document references
- National Insurance number
Where relevant, other information including employment details will also be processed.
4. We and Cifas may also enable law enforcement agencies to access and use your personal information to detect, investigate and prevent crime.
5. We process your personal information in this way on the basis that we have a legitimate interest in preventing fraud and other Relevant Conduct, and to verify your identity, in order to protect our business and customers and to comply with laws that apply to us. This processing of your personal information is also a requirement of your employment with us.
6. Cifas will hold your personal information for up to six years if you are considered to pose a fraud or Relevant Conduct risk.
Consequences of processing
7. Should our investigations identify fraud or any other Relevant Conduct by you when applying for or during the course of your employment with us, your new employment may be refused or your existing employment may be terminated or other disciplinary action taken (subject to your rights under your existing contract and under employment law generally).
8. A record of any fraudulent or any other Relevant Conduct by you will be retained by Cifas and may result in others refusing to employ you. If you have any questions about this, please contact Cifas using the contact details provided at https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us.
9. Should Cifas decide to transfer your personal information outside the European Economic Area, they will impose contractual obligations on the recipients of your information to protect your personal information to the standard required in the Economic European Area. They may also require the recipient to subscribe to “international frameworks” intended to enable secure data sharing.
10. Your personal information is protected by legal rights, which include your rights to object to our processing of your personal information, request that your personal information is erased or corrected and request access to your personal information.
11. For more information or to exercise your data protection rights, please contact us using the contact details provided.
12. You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates the processing of personal information.